Father's Day and other tales

How typical is it that it has been a year and a half since I have posted?  Sad.  If I did half the things I said I was going to do...but anyway.  So why today?  Something's on my mind, that's why - and thanks for asking!  Father's Day.  Each and every year, I dread Father's Day.  Again, you might ask, why?  And I have no idea, really.  For some strange reason, Father's day represents loss and heartache and sadness to me.  No matter how prepared I think I am for the day, I wake up and I feel sad.  Is it because I have no father in my life, no male figure who loves me and cares about me, no - not at all.  I guess that's why it doesn't make tons of sense.

The Pastor at my church always talks about how Mother's Day and Father's Day can be particularly difficult for people.  Maybe they have lost a parent, maybe they don't have a good relationship with that parent, maybe the parent abandoned them.  Maybe this is my answer.  Every day, wonderful men who happen to be dads are taken from their loving families - in death, in work, in military tours - you name it.  Then there are lots of men who never get to be a dad and want to so very much.  And you knew it was coming - then there are lots of dads who, despite being given the greatest gift God can bestow, are not Dads to their children, for one reason or another.  If there were ever a "Life's not fair" moment, this is one - in my humble opinion.

My Dad - Gerard.  Because I am so busy working and being a Mom to my daughter, I don't get to spend time with family like I used to, including my Dad.  I imagine today he is off at a horse-pull...which is what he loves and that makes me smile.  When my daughter arrives home, we will call him and see how his day went.  My Dad went to work every day - if he was sick, if he was hurt, if he was tired.  He always went to work.  He was our provider.  On Sunday, sometimes he would make homemade donuts for us.  I had a recurring nightmare and my Dad would come to my room and sit on my bed until I was okay.  I don't know why - because my Mom was usually our caregiver, because as I mentioned, my Dad worked.  But he did; night after night.  My Dad would sometimes take my sister Amy and I to the woods on the weekends to walk the new lot he would be logging.  My Mom would pack us a lunch just like his and we thought this was very special.  And it was.  My Dad is strong.  Tough.  Capable.  When my Mom, sister and I had an opportunity to go to Florida with my Uncle and his family, my father sold a cow...yep, you heard me right....sold a cow so we could have the money to go.  There were times we didn't have much, but I was never hungry or cold or in need.  I was sick all the time and though there really wasn't money for it, off to the doctor's I would go.  Oh, and did I mention, my Dad loves his grandkids?!  ~love~















My step-dad - Dale.  Shortly after my daughter was born....14 years ago...my Mom introduced us to her new "fella"...Dale.  My Mom once told me she had to "kiss a lot of frogs to get to her prince" and Dale is definitely her prince.  Sorry Mom if this is too personal, but I love it!!  He's a good guy, he loves and cares for my Mom, he makes us feel exceedingly welcome in their home,  He is my family and is a great reminder that family is not just a piece a paper, blood, or chance.  He and my Mom are two people I can count on for support; I never have any doubt they will be on the other end of the phone when I call with a problem.  They are not an "if" in my life and I have learned to count on, expect, and welcome their input and support in my life.  Oh, and did I mention, Dale loves his grandkids?! ~love~






So, what do you get for the men in your life who have everything?  I have no idea.  Maybe this is another reason why I dread the day - because I don't feel like I can adequately express, in gift terms, that I love you!?

Liz's Dad - Steve - Liz debated and struggled with what to get for her Dad for Father's Day.  She decided to make him a photo collage and my first thought was, how cliche?  Then we sat down to gather photos and giggled and wiped some tears as we pulled the pictures together.  A beautiful collage emerged of old pictures and new pictures and memories and we both sat back and admired it.  Liz told me she just might cry when she gave it to her Dad and I was thinking, he just might too! :)











These are the Dad's in my life.  They are like most Dads....they love what they love: horses, British comedies, motorcycles, grilling, reading, and tea...and family.  

Dad and Dale, I count myself lucky to have you both in my life; even more, I am so grateful Liz has you both in her life.  I love you both and wish you all things that make you happy on Father's Day!  

Steve, Happy Father's Day.  Take good care of our girl today - you have had her heart since the very first day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments