Parting is such sweet sorrow and other sad moments

I've been saying good-bye a lot lately.  I really hate good-byes.  I avoid them, like the plague.  Good-byes can be hard.  They can be good.  They can be necessary.  They can be heartbreaking. 

I said good-bye to my daughter, who was headed off to visit her dad for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Oh dear God in Heaven, this good-bye was hard.  I wanted her to go.  I was proud of her for going. She's been dealing with so much these past months and to fly alone and take the trip, well, I was impressed.  I was so happy she was able to go and made the plans with her dad and of course, I wanted the trip to go well.  But saying good-bye was hard. 

Why was it hard? Well, this good-bye was hard because Liz has been sick.  Really sick. For several months.  Okay, so honestly, about 6 or so months ago, there were days she was so sick she couldn't wash her own hair.  Now she was getting on a plane alone and traveling several states away to visit her dad.  That seemed like too much.  She was confident, but nervous, but confident, but nervous.  I vacillated between sheer terror and dread and being on the edge of an emotional breakdown.  What if she needed me and I wasn't there?  This, folks, is one of my greatest fears....that she would call out for me and I wouldn't be there.  Sigh.  But, the best thing possible....she did fine.  She dealt with some emotions and some anxiety, but she did just fine.  Really well in fact and I am exceedingly proud.  And now that she's home, the stress of the cement blocks sitting on my shoulders has been taken down and stored for the next time.  The next time won't be long in coming.  Liz is high maintenance and ensures me a steady supply of stress.   And I love her as though she is an extension of me.  Just the way it is. 

Oh, and yeah, in case you are wondering, I did okay too.  She did well, had a great time - thank the good Lord - and is already looking at another time to go and visit.  Beautiful.  Perfect.  So happy and relieved.  Best case scenario really. 

And I neglected to fall apart.  I managed and got through just fine.  I spent lots and lots of time with my significant other.....and that is another reason why I have been saying good-bye lately.  This is very difficult as well.  He is very difficult to say good-bye to.  He's special, he gets me, he spoils me, and for some reason I have yet to figure out as of yet, he seems to love me...for who I am, not who he wants me to be.  Extraordinary.  I don't enjoy saying good-bye to him at all and it usually takes quite a bit of time to say good-bye....the thought of which is bringing color to my face.  Blushing.  Sighing.  I really like the hellos way more than the good-byes, but it is what it is, right?  I know I am going to see him again...but it's still really hard to say good-bye and drive away.  Anyway.

And of course, due to some discourse in my life, I have said good-bye, theoretically, to some of my family members.  These family members seem to find it difficult to be okay with who I am and what is going on in my life.  It's no less painful, especially during the holidays.  It's difficult for me to deal with all of this...even though many people close by seem to think it's all my idea or all my doing.  It's a little more complicated than that, really. 

Okay, so good-byes.  What are your thoughts? What is the most difficult good-bye you have said? I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments