Pledge to Know the Five Signs and other important PSAs


There is a stigma attached to mental illness.  No seriously, I didn't just make that up.  There is. A stigma. Attached to mental illness. Apparently, people don't see the entire phrase of mental illness.

It's not mental weakness, or mental laziness, or mental irresponsibility.  It's mental illness.  And it's not a dirty word.  It's an illness, like other illnesses...diabetes, heart disease, asthma.   People don't want to talk about it; certainly not in polite conversation.  Nothing stops the fun at a party quicker than, "hey, I've got depression."  People don't always understand and so they turn away from the unpleasantness.  Because of that, people suffering from mental illness don't always speak up - thinking they will be ridiculed for their symptoms, that people will find them weak, that they will not be taken seriously.  But here's the thing.  WE can end the stigma, we can help our friends, our neighbors, family members, classmates, co-workers and others by being aware and by knowing what to do if you see someone suffering.


From http://www.changedirection.org/

If you recognize that someone in your life is suffering, now what?

You connect, you reach out, you inspire hope, and you offer help. Show compassion and caring and a willingness to find a solution when the person may not have the will or drive to help him- or herself. There are many resources in our communities. It may take more than one offer, and you may need to reach out to others who share your concern about the person who is suffering.  If everyone is more open and honest about mental health, we can prevent pain and suffering, and those in need will get the help they deserve.


Know the Five Signs



I have made a pledge at the changedirection.org to know the five signs and to reach out to 10 people and ask them to visit the website and learn the signs, and then post on social media so others can do the same.

A lot of people are doing it.  The State of New Hampshire has pledged as a group to support this cause as a community.


John Broderick, Former NH State Supreme Court Justice makes the Pledge.

You can check out the Facebook page for Change Direction New Hampshire
https://www.facebook.com/signs4changeNH/?fref=nf






So, what am I asking you to do?  Don't I know you are busy?  Yes, I do.  Don't I know you hate reposting things on Facebook because a friend asked you to?  Yes, I do, and I hate that too. 

I'm asking you to go to the website, http://www.changedirection.org/, read the five signs (and if while you are at the website you decide to peak around, great! 😀❤✋💖) and then take a selfie ( I know, I know - I hate them, too...but this is important!) with some indication that you know the five signs.  It can be a post-it on your hand, a sign, doesn't matter.  Please tag me, and please use the hashtag #ChangeMentalHealth, because we are trying to raise awareness after all! 

Thank you for reading this, thank you for checking out the website, thank you for knowing the five signs, and thank you for helping me meet my pledge.  You never know who is going to read your post and maybe recognize those signs, in him/herself or someone close by. 

You have the potential to save a life with  just a few minutes of your time.  Thank you! 💗✌✋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments