Patience and other memories

Memories can be so vivid and nothing brings the memories back to me like music. I feel like those certain songs can bring me right back to a time, a place, a feeling, pain, joy, love. The other morning, I dropped my daughter off at her friends house and headed home. That I was alone meant I was in charge of the music! She usually plays the DJ for us in the car and I love those times together. But this day, I was on my own and Guns N' Roses song Patience came on. This is such a good song. But it also brings me back to a time and a place and a good feeling. My sister, Rose, who is 10 years younger than I am, used to like to mimic the videos my sister and I would watch on MTV, in the very early days when MTV was actually Music and Videos. Those were some good times. So, my sister Rose, with her crazy curls and affinity for not wearing pants when at home, would rush to the living room when she heard Patience come on. She would grab something to use as a microphone stand and she would grab a towel. Remember how Axel Rose had a bandana or something that hung from his back area and when he swayed back and forth in the video Patience, it was sway with him. Well, she would improvise and she would find a way to put something behind her so she could do the same. So here was this half dressed four or so year old girl with crazy ringlet curls and a juice stain on her mouth with her improvised microphone stand and scarf hanging in the back swaying to the music and belting it out right along with Axel. I can see it all. It's burned into my. memory.  I wish I had a picture, or better yet a video, but this was back before everything was recorded.  Hey, it was the video music era.  So there you go.



And on top of that memory, it's a song with a great message. I sit here listening with my eyes closed and the words resonate as much as they did when I was a teenage girl.  And the last couple days, the lyrics have hit home again.

Shed a tear 'cause I'm missin' you
I'm still alright to smile
(Girl- well, maybe not the girl part...), I think about you every day now
Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
There is no doubt you're in my heart now

It doesn't get a whole lot better than that. 

What song brings back the memories for you?  Let me know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments