Memorial Day, "doing something" and other reasons to be thankful

My daughter and I went to two Memorial Day Parades today.  I complained a little at first at having to get up and around on "my day off".   I am not proud to admit that, but it's the truth.  We made our way to Whitefield, found a spot at the Common and watched the parade, which included JROTC members and the marching band from White Mountain Regional High School.  
Members of the WMRHS Marching Band at the Memorial Day Parade in Lancaster NH
Members of the WMRHS Spartan Battalion JROTC at the Memorial Day Parade in Lancaster NH

The two groups paused in front of the Memorial for speeches, including SGM (Ret) Bruno, followed by Ivory Blanchette, who served as Battalion Commander of the WMRHS Spartan Battalion during her senior year and finally Army SGM (Ret) Garett Savard with Marie Savard, who are the parents of SFC Ryan Savard who was killed in action in Afganistan.  If you would like to read more about SFC Savard, please follow this link:

Liz and Ivory pose after a long day ...cousins :) <3
During her speech, Ivory mentioned a soldier whose last letter home told his mother that if he died, his last word would be "Mother".  Tears immediately spilled and I attempted to hide the tears and sniffles the best I could.  The speech was impressive and moving and not just because I am lucky enough to be related to Ivory by a former marriage, but because it was passionate, honest, and insightful.  






Savard's speech asked us "Are you proud to be an American?" The young man behind me, who was standing with his mother, huffed and said loudly, "No, I can't say that I am."  Now, I am frustrated with the state of our country in many ways and disgusted with politicians most of the time, but I am proud to be an American.  In times of trouble, many ask God why He doesn't do something to correct all the evil and unfairness in the world.  A popular song by Matthew West includes the lyrics: Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”  He said, “I did, I created you”   .He has created all of us, who have the ability to change our world for the better.  That is what our military represents - men and women who rush in ...in the face of danger ....when the world is in trouble - who "do something" instead of just complain about it.  Now, don't get me wrong - I am not encouraging my daughter to go into the military.  I am honestly terrified to make a sacrifice like that.  But in my part of "doing something", I am conducting myself with respect and patriotism and raising my daughter to do the same.  If she were to choose the military, I would be proud and honored.  This young man's comment made me cringe and I gritted my teeth and glanced back at the kid, once and then another time - disgusted and sad.  He continued to mutter and talk during the ceremony and finally during the prayer.  He loudly complained to his mother - who was attempting to get him to show some respect - that he was not going to "fake it" or pretend during the prayer.  I reminded myself then that I don't believe in physical violence, that I do believe in free speech and freedom of religion and tried to focus on the prayer.  But I was sad.  The reason we have free speech and freedom of religion is because of the service and sacrifice of the men and women who serve and have served our country. 

Liz, a future JROTC Cadet and
Brandon, a current JROTC Cadet bring in the flag
It was humid and sticky and after awhile, one of the band members came out of formation and sank onto the ground - overheated, where he was given water and support by the parent volunteers..then another band member followed suit...then a JROTC member and then another.  The JROTC kids had had a long few days; they had an open house on Saturday, including alumni, a dedication, cake cutting to celebrate their 20th year, awards ceremony and a farewell to seniors. It was a long day for them to stand in their uniforms, in the very warm weather.  Then many marched in more than one parade on Monday.  I had complained about getting up and this young man complained loudly and disrespectfully and scrolled through his phone in boredom during this important ceremony.  

Memorial Day is not "just" about enjoying a three-day weekend, a time to have a BBQ or drink beer.  But if you did do any of those things, you can thank a Veteran for it.  I am not one to tell others how to live or what to do, but seriously, have a talk with your kids, have them do some research about Memorial Day, take them to a parade, let them thank a Veteran.  We will all be better off for it.   And if you or your child have no respect for God, family or country, please, avoid the Memorial Day parade.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments