Nobody's listening, Chopped, sisters and other good things...Part 1

I am not sure why I keep writing here, because I am pretty sure, just like in my life, that nobody is listening, or reading, or whatever.  That should probably make me quit and just give up and say what's the use.  Eh. Sometimes I think about it.  But then, honestly, remembering that kind of makes me want to write more.  Read, don't read.  Listen, don't listen.  Respect, don't respect.  I don't really care anymore.  You do you.  That's not mine, by the way.  The you do you.  That belongs to a teacher my daughter had this year who actually not only believes in individuality but encourages it.  Well, huh.  Amazing lady who spends lots of time talking about her beautiful children, is kind and empathetic, and seems to be fairly good natured most of the time.  How lovely. :)

Anyway, my daughter loves the show Chopped.  You've seen this show on Food Network, right?  Four chefs, or sometimes not chefs, come together to compete over three rounds for the title, glory and for money - I think it's $10,000.  The judges are great and the contestants almost always  have a story, a personality, or heart that makes the competition more than just a cooking show or competition. 

Recently, a family competed: a man, his wife, their son and her sister.  There was all the normal talk about who was the best, and jesting, and talking about each other and what role they play in the family and the restaurant where most of them work.  Near the end of the show, in the dessert round, the sisters ended up competing against each other.  There was all this emotion in the back room and it was really touching.  One sister said to the other sister that even if she weren't her sister, she would still be glad to know her.  I'm nodding my head and considering this.  See, I'm pretty different from my two beautiful sisters.  This is something that has come up many times in my life, lead to hurt feelings and feelings of being left out and of wondering where the hell I came from,  and so on.  And where the hell I came from, well folks, that is an entirely other story.  But here's the thing, I love those two ladies.  If they needed me, I would be there.  And when I have needed them, they have showed up.  Once very recently, they both stuck with me on one or two of the worst days of my life - expressing love, sympathy, care - and then challenging me to pull myself together and take care of business.  I hope you have a sister, or better yet two, who can fit this space in your life.   In case you are wondering, it's not always a celebration, walk in the park, or a bed of roses.  Lots of times it's squabbling, arguing, hurt feelings, irritation, disappointment, eye-rolling, sometimes yelling, and a couple of times, it even came close to a little physical.  What can I say?   Females can be feisty. 


That's us, by the way.  That's the three of us, in descending height order, at my sister's wedding in 2005.  Good day.  She was getting married and I was getting divorced.  Anyway.  What?  It seems like the bride looks a lot younger than the two bridesmaids?  You're right.  Very observant.  Rose, the bride, is 10 years younger than me.  She was always the baby of the family, but recently, she has become an adult in my eyes and it's very bizarre for me.  It's hard to get used to, honestly.   Okay, so what's the point?  You asked that at just the right moment.  I forget.  No, truly, it's just that I'm glad to know you, Amy and Rose, and very glad you are my sisters....and my friends.  And we don't always take the time to say this when we should.  Consider it said.  I am glad to know you.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments