My lifeguard walks on water....and other evidence of things not seen

Hey, happy hump day, I guess!  So I am back again today.  I just posted a couple of days ago and I have lots of work to get through today, but I can't seem to move forward until I get some things off my chest.  I realized today how much I am using this blog as a place for my voice.  I always have a lot to say, a lot on my mind and never really feel all that comfortable sharing most of my thoughts with those around me.  Rarely, but not usually, do I share.   

I've had a lot on my mind lately, a lot going on in my life and the world around me.  Sound familiar?  I'm going to guess it does.  Anyway, things have been particularly stressful for a number of reasons the last month or a bit more and I have been trying to wade through the deep water, but mostly, I've just been working hard to keep my head above the water.  Again, sound familiar?  Yeah, I kind of thought so. 

Anyway, I've had a couple Bible verses on my mind and I wanted to share.  Because sharing faith during hard times is what it's all about, right? 

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Faith, ah yes.  Faith is particularly difficult to maintain when times are difficult.  I generally have  a pretty comfortable time holding on to my faith because many, many times when things have been dire in my life, I have felt the inevitable catch of God's loving arms as I feel like I am falling backwards into the black hole of life.  I hope you have felt that as well.  So I know I'm going to be okay, that things will be okay.  I hang on to that premise as hard as I can when the going gets tough.  Also, the fact that this verse is 11:1 in Hebrews is significant to me as well because the ones are meaningful to me.  More on that at another time.

I pray, quite a lot, and I raise a lot of the people I know and don't know up in prayer.  I have a wall where I post those who I want to hold up in prayer and often stop to stare at the wall in quiet contemplation.  I pray for myself too, sometimes, but almost always, for the strength to deal with difficult situations, for help in improving myself in areas that need improving (oh, there are so, so many), and I ask for God's guidance and direction in all that I do.  I thank him for my blessings, because there are so, so many.  But every now and then, not often but now and then, I make a pretty direct request.  Yesterday was one of those times.  I have been having car issues for the past two months.  I won't go into boring detail, but let's just say in terms of vehicular transportation, if it could go wrong, it has.  It has bled my bank account dry as well as my well of patience and resilience.  Yesterday, I was kind of at the end of my rope with it all.  I had an appointment at the auto mechanics and I was dreading this appointment, because I knew it would bring bad news and the looming promise of a big bill.  I am not a pessimist, far from it.  But I am a realist and I had no reason to expect this appointment would go any better than the best few months had been going.  It simply is what it is. 

So as I sat in the waiting room, doing my best to breathe and not lose control of my self, I prayed.  Directly. Boldly.  For myself.

This is one of my favorite verses.  During some difficult health times, I used this prayer as a mantra.  I had it posted everywhere...my home, my office, my car...everywhere.  I said it over and over.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus  Philipians 4:6-7

It's a pretty simple concept.  Pray, ask God for help, receive Peace.  I was asking.  I was direct and bold and I grasped the cross on the chain I wore around my neck and I prayed.  I let myself freak out a little and then I reminded myself  that even if there was more work needed, I would get the money eventually, get it fixed and we would survive.  Not life or death, just inconvenient and stressful.  But bottom line is, I would deal with whatever I had to deal with.  But needless to say, the transportation issue was something I had been dealing with and I really needed it to be done with.  For my own peace. 

I felt calmer and resolved and I turned my prayers toward thanksgiving, thanking God as though what I asked of him was already done.  Deep breath.  The gentleman who had been working on my car walked past me and very softly told me they would be with me in a moment and get me on my way.  My name was called and I had my hand wrapped around my debit card in a death grip, hoping the bill and the debit card were going to compromise and come to an agreement.  The gentleman at the counter explained a potential future issue to me, but indicated it may never be an issue and I listened and nodded, promising myself I would discuss this issue with my dad.  I held my breath a little as he typed and then he told me, with a very subtle smile on his face,  that my total was zero dollars.  Um, what?  That's not right.  Yes, it is right.  He said in a self satisfied way and told me "they had taken care of me."  Wait, what.  Not only did my car not need work done to pass inspection, but the mechanic wasn't charging me for the inspection or the oil change? Don't cry, Carla, please don't cry here at the auto mechanics, with all these men around you.  I chewed on my lip and blinked to clear the tears the best I could and told him that I hoped he had an idea of how much this meant to me.  He smiled, handed me my key and told me to have a good day. 

I know, I know.  Somewhere out there, you are reading this and thinking, it's a coincidence, it's just a coincidence.  Sorry, my friend, but it is faith.  I felt like my feet didn't touch the ground as I walked outside and the cool air in my face helped remind me that I wasn't dreaming.  There was the car and it had a beautiful inspection sticker on it.  Hmm. 

So, I would love to hear from you - has this happened in your life? Have you prayed, received peace, been granted a blessing just when you were in the  most dire straits.  I'd love to hear about it.  And oh yeah, have a good day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait for a man who....and other unfathomable twists of fate

Things don't suck...and other lies I tell myself

You never know what you've got....until it's found.....and other hard to imagine moments